Sunday 25 September 2016

A good bit done (flywheel and engine mounts)

With a bit of prior planning I managed to achieve all I wanted to today. I need to get a mobile welder to come and put in some plates to mount the Zetec engine mounts and then I'll have no other outside dependancies to worry about with getting on with stuff.

The flywheel replcement and swap was easy and I was expecting it to be a nightmare, so score 1 to Hammy!



After that I was able to offer the engine up to the type 9 and mark out where the plates need to go. Raw did send me a piccy but its worth checking your own car, especially as mine was a built and IVA'd car.



At first it was a little confusing as the Striker has an offset engine position to assist with space and weight distribution. In the end it all worked out fine. I made some cardboard templates for the fabricator to work from when he comes.


Then I gave the engine a second clean and a few coats of black to tidy it up a bit before the new sump and other shiny bits arrive... I have to say Im looking forward to the welding being done so that I can finish the engine bay off in black. I really cant stand the red as is.



So now we have one clean shiny engine which will make working with it so much easier and enjoyable. Oh and it looks cool too! 




Ive been stockpiling stuff and I have these indicators to replace the ones that were on the cycle wings. I sized and found a decent mounting location that wont need any new/additional brackets.


                                                   Much better than on the wings I think.




Lastly I got the standard inlet manifold prepped to take the GBS plenum. I've got it to the stage where it needs final flatting and true-ing out flat. You need to take the full standard plenum and cut off the ports, then flat them back as true as you can to create a flat surface and modified manifold for the GBS plenum.







It feels really good to see the Zetec in the engine bay and spurs me on. Can't wait to get the welding done now.









3 comments:

  1. Love how meticulous you are with small details. It's what makes a difference!
    It's going to be fantastic mate!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mick, it's all in the detail and that is what makes the difference. You have to (in my opinion) have a picture in your head before you even start. I think a lot of kit cars end up ugly because the plan gets lost. Even Foose does a detailed sketch and has a vision before he starts. I know all the way through a build exactly what I'm after.

      Delete
  2. BTW, I know the fuel pump is upside down in the pic ;-)

    ReplyDelete